Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Dear Basketball (2017) - no, wait, wrong Kobe

Related only to the title - I actually watched that as part of a screening of Academy Award Nominated Animated Shorts with Dan (yes, Dan from a bunch of other entries on this blog).



Before I could meet up with Mikey I had a few days to kill. Directionless, I went to Kobe (of Kobe Beef fame), as that’s where I was able to find a couchsurfing host.

What a fuckin’ fantastic time!



Kobe itself is a quaint little city, albeit not as walkable as I’d like. However, it makes up for that in charm! It has lots of little adventures (e.g. a sake tasting tour of some of the most famous sake breweries in Japan) and is well worth a visit if you’re ever in or around Osaka.

Of special note, my host here and I bonded quite strongly over an affection for Germany, beer, and games. I had a blast doing simple things like constructing Ikea furniture (oh, the simple things you forget doing when traveling). I really wish I could have spent more time with my host.



I made sure to check off my list (poem in a library and a visit to a government building) and would have gladly spent more time exploring (there was a mountain calling out “climb me, climb me”), but, as with so many other times, I had to move on. I bid adieu to my host and took a short train ride to Osaka to meet Mikey.

A full album of photos from Japan can be found via this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment