Friday, April 10, 2020

Update and Book List

Hello! I'm still alive, I'm in Philadelphia, and I'm generally doing well. I arrived home on March 21.

Maybe a bit hairy.

I need to write posts that cover the two months I spent in Tunisia, the few days I was in Barcelona, the week or two I was in Morocco, and the harrowing adventure that was the evacuation flight (I'm lying - the flight was fine). That said, I've always had a hard time sitting down and writing - having my housemates blasting the TV at all hours has not helped my concentration. And, I mean, it's not like I can go to a coffee shop and write :(

That said, I can read things and type them here. With no further ado, a list of books I read (* - started but didn't compete) over the past 20 months:


  • Adamiec Tight Collar (I really need to throw something on Kindle.)
  • Aesop Aesop's Fables* (You'll note a lot of collections are incomplete.)
  • Andersen Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales. First Series*
  • Apollonius The Argonautica*
  • Asimov Youth
  • Atwood Handmaid's Tale
  • Baum The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
  • Byron The Works of Lord Byron, Vol. 1*
  • Carroll Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
  • Carson Silent Spring* (Super depressing - I got the point halfway through.)
  • Chekhov Project Gutenberg Compilation of 233 Short Stories*
  • Chesterton Tremendous Trifles*
  • Christie The Murder on the Links
  • Christie The Mysterious Affair at Styles
  • Christie The Secret Adversary
  • Collins Hunger Games
  • Collins Catching Fire
  • Collins Mockingjay
  • Conrad Heart of Darkness
  • Dick The Variable Man
  • Dick The Man in the High Castle
  • Dick Beyond Lies the Wub
  • Douglass Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (Required reading for every American)
  • Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Doyle The Return of Sherlock Holmes
  • Doyle A Study in Scarlet
  • Doyle The Sign of the Four
  • Drake Starliner (What's the opposite of required reading?)
  • Ernst The Radiant Shell
  • Fitzgerald The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Franklin Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (a.k.a. Franklin jerks himself off)
  • Grant Personal Memoirs of US Grant (A total surprise - well written and witty!)
  • Herbert Operation Haystack (Watch Herbert play with ideas explored in Dune)
  • Hesse Siddhartha (I tried a decade ago, but wasn't mature enough. A WONDERFUL book.)
  • Hemingway Three Stories & Ten Poems
  • Ibsen The Master Builder
  • James The Turn of the Screw* (zzzzzzzzzzzz)
  • Kaneshiro Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Lofting The Story of Doctor Doolittle
  • London The Game (I really need to publish something.)
  • London The Sea-Wolf
  • London The Call of the Wild
  • Lovecraft The Call of Cthulhu
  • Lovecraft The Shunned House
  • Marx The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte* (I gave it a go, I promise!)
  • Melville Moby Dick
  • Mill On Liberty*
  • Misc. The Best American Humorous Short Stories* (Spoiler: not really humorous)
  • Miura The Great Passage (FANTASTIC!)
  • Munroe What If?
  • Napoleon The Officer's Manual*
  • Piper Omnilingual
  • Piper Murder in the Gunroom
  • Pratchett Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
  • Pratchett Hogfather
  • Pratchett Soul Music
  • Pratchett Snuff
  • Pratchett Monstrous Regiment
  • Pratchett Reaper Man
  • Pratchett Mort
  • Pratchett The Truth
  • Reeds Trespassing
  • Robinson Red Mars (Which reminds me, I need to finish the series.)
  • Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
  • Rowling Chamber of Secrets
  • Rowling Prisoner of Azkaban
  • Rowling Goblet of Fire
  • Rowling Order of the Phoenix
  • Rowling Half-Blood Prince
  • Rowling Deathly Hallows
  • Segovia The Murmur of Bees (Strange magic and the Spanish Flu!)
  • Stevenson Treasure Island
  • Stevenson The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • Sullivan Beneath a Scarlet Sky
  • Swift A Modest Proposal
  • Tagore The Post Office (zzzzzzzzzzzzz)
  • Tolkien The Hobbit
  • Tolstoy Anna Karenina
  • Twain A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (I had a hard time, as I did not know what he was lampooning.)
  • Verne Around the World in Eighty Days
  • Verne The Blockade Runners
  • Vonnegut The Big Trip Up Yonder
  • Vonnegut 2 B R 0 2 B
  • Walker The Color Purple
  • Warner The Box-Car Children
  • Weber The Honor of the Queen
  • Weber On Basilisk Station
  • Wells The War of the Worlds
  • Wells The First Men in the Moon
  • Zahn Cobra

No comments:

Post a Comment